“For more than two decades Hazel Dooney has been recognised as a force to be reckoned with in the art world.”
– Aliki Smith, She Shoots Film, 2018
"It may be true that a picture is worth a thousand words, because if there's one thing... Hazel Dooney has been criticised for time and time again, it's saying too much."
– Emily Lush, Peppermint Magazine, 2013
“Hazel’s independent, outspoken stance on various feminist and creative issues has elevated her as a courageous, provocative and highly successful artist.”
– Robert Doyle, the 103rd Right Honourable Lord Mayor of Melbourne, Australia (2008-2018), 2013
"Hazel Dooney isn’t for everybody and that’s what I always liked about her."
– Bruce Sterling, Wired.com, 2012
"Dooney has both extraordinary depth as an artist and a sound painterly technique."
– Clare Press, Vogue Australia, 2007
"Hazel Dooney walks the razor's edge between respect and celebrity in today's artworld."
– Australian Financial Review, 2006
"These works carry the subversive and slick trademarks of contemporary consumer culture. Her work comes across as an intense exploration of personal eroticism filtered through a candy-coloured palette."
– The Sunday Age Agenda, The Age, 2004
"Peter Booth, Hazel Dooney... Jeffrey Smart are all members of a select breed of artist who, for the benefit of all concerned, cast a somewhat critical and even destructive eye over their artwork. These artists do not turn out bad art."
– Michael Reid, The Weekend Australian, 2001